On the eve of Victoria’s Member Federation sides qualifying for the Westfield FFA Cup, Football Federation Australia has confirmed the date of the Round of 32 draw as Melbourne City commence their title defence.
The draw for the Round of 32 of the competition will be conducted at 3pm on Thursday 29 June 2017 and will be broadcast live on Fox Sports as the ten Hyundai A-League team enter the competition.
Four matches will be held on four different match days between 25 July and 9 August with all ten A-League sides in the mix to take on Member Federation clubs from the Round of 32.
This year saw a new record of Westfield FFA Cup entrants, with 721 clubs around the country competing in the Preliminary Rounds while the number will rise to 732 with the inclusion of ten A-League clubs as well as PlayStation 4 NPL 2016 Champions Sydney United 58.
“The excitement and interest in the Westfield FFA Cup continues to rise in all parts of the country as Australia’s only true grassroots to professional competition moves into its fourth year,” said FFA CEO David Gallop.
“There have already been a plethora of magical moments and memorable scenes in the short history of the competition including Green Gully and Redlands United beating the Central Coast Mariners and Adelaide United respectively last year as Australia’s army of grassroots clubs and players look to take it up to the elite professionals.
“This year is certain to see more of those wonderful moments and atmospheres that only knockout Cup football can provide as semi professional and grassroots clubs dream of hosting Hyundai A-League teams in their own suburban backyards.”
Features of the Westfield FFA Cup 2017 Final Rounds
- The Round of 32 draw principles will remain unchanged with all ten (10) Hyundai A-League clubs placed into the same pot.
- The match schedule remains predominantly similar to last year, with the Round of 32 to be held over three weeks, the Quarter Finals played prior to the start of the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 Season, and the Semi Finals completed before the end of October.
- The draw principles that will see at least one Member Federation club advance to the Semi Finals will remain unchanged.
- Member Federation clubs will be provided the opportunity to host matches when drawn against a Hyundai A-League opponent.
- The Westfield FFA Cup Final 2017 is scheduled for Wednesday 22 November 2017.
Fox Sports Coverage
- The FOX SPORTS broadcast schedule will consist of 11 LIVE full broadcast matches and coverage of all other 20 matches from the Round of 32 onwards.
- Round of 32 will feature 16 matches across four match days. FOX SPORTS is committed to broadcasting four of the matches LIVE with cameras at the other 12 matches.
- Round of 16 will feature eight matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with cameras at the six other matches.
- Quarter Finals will feature four matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with cameras at the other two matches.
- Semi Finals will feature two matches across two match days, both broadcast LIVE.
- The Westfield FFA Cup Final 2017 will be broadcast LIVE.