On Saturday 13 June, clubs from City Football Group will come together for the first time to host a Group-wide EA SPORTS FIFA20 challenge. The CFG FIFA Challenge will see pro-FIFA players and esports teams alongside footballers from men’s and women’s teams around the Group take to the virtual pitch to test their skills and entertain fans.
With on-the-pitch action limited due to the coronavirus pandemic, eight clubs – Melbourne City, Manchester City, New York City FC, Yokohama F. Marinos, Girona FC, Montevideo City Torque, Sichuan Jiuniu FC and Mumbai City FC - will compete in a series of matches and gaming challenges. The challenge will also give fans watching the opportunity to donate to their club’s chosen charity, supporting COVID19 recovery efforts in their local area.
Players from CFG’s men’s and women’s teams will be taking part including Melbourne City’s Connor Metcalfe as well as Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Georgia Stanway, Ellie Roebuck and legend Joleon Lescott, Girona’s Pablo Maffeo and New York City FC’s Joe Scally and James Sands. Club ambassadors and former Gogglebox Australia stars Adam Densten and Symon Lovett face Melbourne City FC Esports and E-League Australia player Peter Saisanas.
Chief Marketing Officer, Nuria Tarre, commented: “Esports has been a fantastic way to entertain and engage with our fans across the world, particularly during this challenging period. Over the past three months, clubs and players from across City Football Group have taken part in a number of exciting esports events which has seen a significant number of fans tune in to watch. There is a big appetite from fans to see this type of content and the CFG FIFA Challenge is the perfect way for us to bring our extensive CFG esports offering into one place for the first time.”
City Football Group can also announce the signing of its first female professional FIFA player, Xiao Jie, and she will represent Manchester City as part of City’s esports team in China. Xiao Jie will make her debut at the challenge, supporting Sichuan Jiuniu FC’s efforts. Across City Football Group, there are now 16 professional FIFA players and two esports teams in South Korea and China representing our clubs in all the major FIFA tournaments around the world.
Where can I watch it?
You can watch the challenge at twitch.tv/cfgfifachallenge
What is the order of play?
Melbourne City FC (7pm AEST)
- Pete Saisanas (esports pro) v Connor Metcalfe (men’s team)
- Pete Saisanas v Adam + Symon (club ambassadors, former Gogglebox Australia)
Yokohama F. Marinos (8pm AEST)
- Subaru Mikey (esports pro) v Erik (men’s team)
- Subaru Mikey v Keita Endo (men’s team)
Sichaun Jiuniu FC (9pm AEST)
- Sichuan players v Man City esports players
- Xiao Jie vs Wuhan Man City fans
Mumbai City FC (10pm AEST)
- Regan Raj (fan) v Shannon Nogueira (fan)
- Rowllin Borges (men’s team) v Mridul Sharma (fan)
Girona FC (11pm AEST)
- Dani (esports pro) v Angelito (esports pro)
- Pablo Maffeo v Sergio Agüero (former team mates)
Manchester City (12am AEST)
- Sergio Agüero v Oleksandr Zinchenko (Men’s)
- Georgia Stanway v Ellie Roebuck (Women’s)
- Shellzz (esports pro) v FaZe Tass (FaZeClan)
- Club legend Joleon Lescott v Ryan Pessoa (esports pro)
Montevideo City Torque (2am AEST)
- Andrew Teuten (men’s team) vs Joaquín Alonso (fan)
- Andrew Teuten (men’s team) vs Valentin Castellanos (now NYCFC, formerly Montevideo)
New York City Football Club (3am AEST)
- Chris Holly (esports pro) v Valentin Castellanos (men’s team)
- Joe Scally v James Sands (men’s team) TBC