Melbourne City FC’s Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season kicks off in October with a blockbuster clash against Sydney FC in the opening round of Season 11 of Australia’s premier domestic football competition.
The meeting with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium will be held on Saturday 10 October 2015, kick-off 7.30pm, in a repeat of last season’s opening match of the season.
The 2015/16 campaign will burst into action on Thursday 8 October as the Western Sydney Wanderers host Brisbane Roar, kick-starting a season that will run uninterrupted through to the Hyundai A-League 2016 Grand Final, which will played on Sunday 1 May 2016.
Melbourne City FC will host 14 home matches throughout the campaign – all at the Club’s home at AAMI Park in Melbourne.
Those home fixtures include two matches against last season’s Grand Finalists and close rivals Sydney FC, two against Western Sydney Wanderers, and two Monday night clashes against Elimination Final rival Wellington Phoenix.
Five home matches will be broadcast on Friday nights, five on Saturday and two on Sunday afternoons and Monday nights.
Melbourne City FC CEO Scott Munn said he was pleased with next season’s draw.
“We’re very excited about the start of next season and today’s draw announcement coincides with our first day of pre-season training, so preparations are already underway for Round One,” Munn said.
"Anticipation for next season is already building and I'm sure our first match of the season and first home match at AAMI Park will be exciting occasions.
“I’m confident our members and fans will be very happy with next season’s draw and the 14 home matches at AAMI Park, including five Friday and fiveSaturday night fixtures.”
Head of the Hyundai A-League Damien de Bohun, was proud to unveil the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season draw today.
“The Hyundai A-League season draw is highlighted by some fantastic fixtures In the opening three rounds to excite the Members and fans with all clubs playing at least one match at home during that period,” De Bohun said.
“The Members and fans have consistently asked for consistency in the fixtures which we have ensured with no club playing more than two consecutive matches away during the 2015/16 Season, a huge win for the supporters of all 10 clubs.
“Without the constraints of an AFC Asian Cup or other major events to consider we are confident that we’ve been able to develop a fair and equitable draw for the clubs in terms of rest periods and travel.
“Today is an exciting day for football fans as we begin the countdown to Season 11 of the Hyundai A-League.” concluded de Bohun.
The key features of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season draw include:
- Opening Round of the Hyundai A-League 205/16 Season begins on 8 October 2015 with the Western Sydney Wanderers hosting Brisbane Roar FC at Pirtek Stadium
- There will be seven (7) Thursday night fixtures throughout the season with five (5) consecutive Thursday Night Football Matches across Rounds 5 to 9 of the Hyundai A-League Season includes a Socceroos 2018 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifier on Thursday night during Round 6.
- Introduction of a new Sunday 7pm (AEST/ AEDT) kick-off time for five (5) matches
- Melbourne Derbies – Rounds 2 (17 October), 11 (19 December) and 19 (13 February).
- Round 18 (5-7 February) will be the Play Football Round
- The following fixtures at alternate home venues have been incorporated
- Round 1 - Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
- Round 9 – Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne Victory – QBE Stadium, Auckland
- Round 10 – Brisbane Roar FC v Wellington Phoenix – Cazaly’s Stadium, Cairns (first ever Hyundai A-League Regular Season Match in Cairns)
- Round 14 – Central Coast Mariners v Melbourne Victory – Simmonds Stadium, Geelong
- Round 14 – Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets – ANZ Stadium, Sydney
- Round 17 – Wellington Phoenix v Central Coast Mariners – AMI Stadium, Christchurch
- All AFC Champions League Match Days for participating clubs have been accommodated –including Round 27 where details of three matches will be confirmed following the AFC Champions League Draw which will be conducted in December 2015.
- No clubs will travel back to back between Wellington and Perth.
- Fixtures may need to be re-scheduled in Round 5 due to the Westfield FFA Cup Final which is scheduled for Saturday, 7 November at 7:30pm AEDT.
- Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series will begin on the weekend of 15-17 April 2016.
- Hyundai A-League 2016 Grand Final will be played on Sunday 1 May 2016.
- Fox Sports will show all matches of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season and Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series exclusively live.
- SBS TV will broadcast Friday night matches live and the Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series on a one-hour delay.
- ABC Grandstand will broadcast all matches of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season and Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series on local radio or digitally via the Grandstand app or website.
To sign up for the 2015/16 season as a Melbourne City FC member, visit membership.melbournecityfc.com.au