Ross McCormack hit a first-half double to help Melbourne City maintain their 100% start to the Hyundai A-League season with a classy 2-0 win over Adelaide United on Saturday night.
In a quality contest, City's hugely impressive start to the season continued with a brilliant defensive display and steely resolve across the park.
For their part, after a big week that included qualifying for the Westfield FFA Cup Final, the Reds were handed a first loss of the A-League campaign in front of a noisy 11,689 fans at Coopers stadium.
STORY OF THE GAME
- City were 2-0 up in the first 20 minutes thanks to their Scottish forward, on loan from Aston Villa.
- The Reds pushed hard after the break as they pinned City back.
- City's Osama Malik received his second yellow card after the hour mark to set up a grandstand finish.
- United dominated the final stages of the game as they tried to make their one-man advantage pay dividends.
- Stefan Mauk had a golden chance to finish United off with 10 mins to go, but prodded his effort wide.
McCormack (pen), City 11’: 0-1
Izzo was booked for a foul on Stefan Mauk which saw the penalty awarded and the Scot finished with ease.
McCormack, City 16’: 0-2
McCormack won the foul and then curled a fabulous free-kick from just outside the box.