Simon Zappia, Game Development Officer
- Recently completed Bachelor of Sport and Recreation Management at Victoria University
- Have worked in a coaching capacity at Football Star Academy and Boroondara Eagles
- Completed placements in administrative roles at Richmond Football Club and Maribyrnong College’s Sports Academy
- Play in the Victorian Premier League
- Played for the Melbourne Heart Youth team in the 2011-12 season
What is your role at the Club?
I’m one of the Game Development officers at Melbourne Heart FC. As a Game Development Officer I organize and conduct clinics for junior football clubs and schools, and assist with coach education through Melbourne Heart's ‘Coach the Coach’ program.
Have you always been a football fan?
Yes, I have. Although growing up in the country where AFL was the dominant sport I always took a particular interest in the World Game.
What do you enjoy most about the role?
Being able to interact with so many different people from all walks of life is something that I really enjoy. I also love being able to provide an experience for a child that they will never forget, whether that be a chance to run onto AAMI Park or kicking a football for the first time, we are always able to provide new and wonderful experiences which is a great feeling.
What makes Melbourne Heart the best football club in Australia?
Melbourne Heart stay true to their values at all times. The Club provides amazing opportunities for local communities to have a taste of the A-League and get involved with the beautiful game. I particularly love the work Melbourne Heart does to grow the game in regional areas. On-field Melbourne Heart plays an attacking brand of football that is always enjoyable to watch. I also love the promotion of youth across all departments of the club.