The story so far: Newcastle v City

Melbourne City FC are undefeated against Newcastle Jets this season with the two teams going head-to-head on three occasions, twice in the Hunter Valley.

Ahead of this Friday night’s crucial Semi Final at McDonald Jones Stadium we take a look at the story that was in the battle between the two attacking heavyweights during the season.

Muscat’s late heroics
Round 9: Newcastle Jets 1 – 2 Melbourne City

Melbourne City FC drew first blood between the two teams when Manny Muscat’s late heroics secured an important 2-1 win over Newcastle at McDonald Jones Stadium.

City’s come from behind victory came after Ross McCormack’s penalty cancelled out Andrew Nabbout’s opener in the first-half, before Muscat secured the three points with a brilliant 86th minute volley.  


Four-goal thriller in Melbourne
Round 18: Melbourne City 2 – 2 Newcastle Jets

In Round 18, Melbourne City and Newcastle Jets played out an entertaining 2-2 draw at AAMI Park.

Nikolai Topor-Stanley opened the scoring in the third minute following a delightful ball by Patricio Rodriguez before Scott Jamieson fired a free kick into the cross bar. On the stroke of half-time, Daniel Arzani equalised from the penalty spot with a composed finish before Jason Hoffman restored the Jets lead against the run of play.

Despite trailing, Dario Vidosic salvaged a point with a quality header in the 82nd minute following a sublime ball by Luke Brattan.


A statement to the competition
Round 25: Newcastle Jets 0 – 3 Melbourne City

In Round 25, City became the first team to hold the Jets goalless with a comprehensive 3-0 win at McDonald Jones Stadium.

With Melbourne Victory hot on City’s heels chasing third position, Warren Joyce’s men made a statement to the competition with a brilliant performance in the Hunter Valley.

Bruno Fornaroli opened the scoring from close range in the first-half, before a brilliant brace by Dario Vidosic secured the win. The first of the attacker’s goals was a towering header, before he fired home a superb free kick moments later.